One of the most frequently asked questions we get is why someone wouldn’t choose a voice assistant like Siri or Alexa over our adaptable smart switch, Sofii.
So here are seven reasons why voice assistants aren’t always the answer to solving accessibility in the home.
- Limitations of Vocal Communication: Not everyone can effectively use their voice, making a voice assistant impractical or impossible for some.
- Speech Recognition Challenges: Even among those who can speak, many with less common accents or atypical speech patterns can pose challenges for assistants like Alexa.
- Frequent Misinterpretations: Voice assistants often get commands wrong, leading to frustration due to misunderstood requests or incorrect responses.
- Inconvenience at Odd Hours: In situations like needing to use the bathroom at 3 AM, voice commands can be impractical and disruptive to others.
- Privacy Concerns: Voice assistants can be seen as intrusive, as they continuously listen, causing discomfort for some users. While most offer microphone muting, this disables voice control.
- Reliance on an Internet Connection: Many voice assistants depend on a stable internet connection, making them unreliable when connectivity falters.
- Sofii: An Alternative, Not a Replacement: Sofii provides an alternative without replacing voice assistants, offering users more control choices.